The 2021 Big Farmland Bird Count is taking place between the 5th and 14th February 2021.
Just follow the three simple steps below to take part:
1. Download your count sheet
- Those who participate in the count in February 2021 will be able to submit their entries online.
- To help with the count out in the field you can download and print our helpful count sheet.
Don’t have access to a computer?
- If you don’t have access to a computer you can return your count findings by post. Please download and print this form. You can then return to the address provided on the form.
2. Count your birds!
- On a day between 5th and 14th February spend about 30 minutes recording the species and number of birds seen on one particular area of the farm. You can choose your own location but somewhere with a good view of around 2 ha of the farm would be ideal.
- You’ll be asked to record the types of habitat and cropping on and adjacent to your count site to help provide us with more detail about your count location.
- To see the highest number of birds we would recommend that the site includes or is close to an area of game or wild seed mix or somewhere that supplementary feeding takes place.
- Ideally, counting should take place at first light as this is when the birds are most active. However, it is more important that you take part, so timings should suit you.
3. Submit your results online
You can submit your Big Farmland Bird Count results quickly and easily online once the count begins on 5 February 2021.
We’re once again using the NotaZone survey platform developed by Agrantec to collect count results. The system is safe and secure and all submissions will remain 100% confidential.